Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Just thinking...


There's so much running through my mind lately - and today is no different. This isn't a normal blog for me, but I'm sitting here asking myself whether keeping a blog is for me or someone else. Maybe it's a combination of both, but I feel like my ramblings and thoughts written down for all to see - including myself will push me to keep working on making some much needed changes. So for today, my blog is for me...

I'm thinking a lot about whether or not I can have it all, do it all, be it all. Can I be the best mother, perfect hostest, blog writter, twitterer, myspacer, facebooker, wife, kids church leader, cook, business owner, house cleaner, and child of God? There are so many things that fall under my job description right now. I'm a creative person and I love that. But at times because of the creative thoughts that run through my head, I find myself adding on more and more projects to my list because of this thought: "why in the world would I buy that when I can make it!"

The answer I've come to is that I CAN do it all, but something is going to suffer. I can probably do all of these things, but chances are that I won't be able to do all of them very well. So this brings me to the realization that I HAVE to make a list of priorities and plan out my week...almost down to the minute.

That doesn't really match my natural thought process. It isn't going to be easy for me to have such a structured day. While I love organization and structure, I don't enjoy it so much when it affects my time. I like staying up ridiculously late and sleeping in. I like wandering around the house during the day doing only the projects that I feel like I'm in the "mood" for. I'm constantly telling myself that I don't need a structured day right now because Emma isn't in school.

But I really do need it and I don't like it. I can't run a business, keep my house clean and do all of the other things mentioned above and keep my sanity if I don't organize my time. I realize this is going to be a process for me. I know most things don't change overnight and that it will take a while for me to turn this forced structure into a habit. So I'm starting here and now...with a list of priorities and things I need to change to get on the right path...

1. Check Etsy, emails, blogs, and other time sucking internet "must haves" in the morning and during Emma's nap - ONLY
2. Make a monthly calendar with all dinners planned ahead of time
3. Make a weekly calendar with my cleaning schedule, etsy shipping days, time scheduled in for "creative fun", free time, and family & church obligations
4. Work on being okay with not having everything "perfect" all the time

There's so much more...but for now I think this is enough to comment on. It's exhausting doing so much self-evaluating!! :) ~ Andrea

1 comments:

~LL~ November 19, 2008 at 6:14 PM  

Seriously? We are allowed to NOT be perfect every second of every day? Eeeeek. The thought is a scary one. LOL! I feel ya, girlfriend1

Hey, go over to my place....left an award for ya!